Your Immune system is a well-designed network to protect you from various infections and conditions. Overall, your immune system does an exceptional job of protecting you against disease-causing microorganisms. But sometimes it fails. Even the healthiest people can get sick now and then.
Here are some tips for immune support to stay healthy.
By fine-tuning your health routine, like diet and stress management, you can help strengthen your immune system’s defense. This can be against bacteria, toxic chemicals, and or viruses that cause conditions like the flu or the common cold.
Tips to improve your immune support:
- Eat an antioxidant-rich diet with an abundance in many fruits and vegetables.
- Choose healthy fats such as omega-3 fatty acids available in oily fish, flaxseed, and krill oil.
- Add garlic. It has been shown to possess virus-fighting and bacteria-killing properties.
- If you drink alcohol, drink only in moderation.
- Make sure meats are cooked thoroughly to avoid bacteria.
- Physical activity may help flush out bacteria from the lungs and airways. Which may reduce your chance of getting a cold or flu.
- Exercise slows down the release of stress hormones. Some stress increases the chance of illness. Lower stress hormones may protect against illness.
- In a 2006 study of 115 women, participants who engaged in moderate exercise (such as brisk walking) for an average of 30 minutes daily for a year had about half the risk of colds as those who did not work out routinely.
Tips for Immune Support – Stress Reduction
- Add meditation or yoga to your daily routine.
- Try tai chi, a gentle Chinese martial art that has the potential to increase immune defense.
- Take time for yourself, listen to music, do something you enjoy!
- Take time to talk to a friend.
Sleep & Hygiene
- Washing your hands is the best way to ward off illness.
- Get a full eight hours of sleep each night, to help regulate immune function.
Herbs & Supplements
- The following herbs and supplements may help boost your immune system: Echinacea, oil of oregano, garlic, NAC, Vitamin D3, Vitamins B12 & B6, Vitamin C and Zinc, Black Elderberry, mushroom extract, Chlorella, Ginseng, Probiotics, and Astragalus Root.
By replacing bad health habits with good ones, it can help you strengthen your immune system. Just remember if you start to feel under the weather, let us know at Colorado ENT and we will get you back on track in no time!